Friday 15 November 2019

Matrix


As I scroll everything in the real world slowly ceases to exist. One second I am with a group of friends on holiday; somewhere warm no doubt, the next I am with a couple as they declare their love;  its cute so I smirk a little then stop, I am now reading receipts; someone is being exposed DAMN; just as fast I am outside a school as blows are hastily handed out and received with tenacity; I am disgusted and continue my scroll, I am now inside a cube inside a collection in a museum.  

So immersed and stimulated by my socials that the real world becomes more like a stimulation, one I can dip in and out of as I wish. In the process of scrolling I miss the friends talking and laughing animatedly, I miss the sombre woman as she walks, I miss the man furiously typing away on his phone, I miss the moment he glances up and a smirk appears on his face before returning to his phone, I miss the impatient driver who is clearly embarrassed by his tragic attempt at over taking a bus, I miss a teachable patience moment. 

Social media is stealing the humanity.  When life's moments are viewed through the lens of how will I frame this on my socials, we miss the opportunity to experience things as they are for what they are, the beauty and fragility lost. 
Our lives mirror the Matrix – Hi Keanu ðŸ˜‰- only that in this version the difference between real and imagined is becoming undistinguishable. I am not anti-social but there is something we are losing and for the most part we will not know what that is until we are past this stage and are whatever we have lost is completely gone.  

P.S: Maybe we have already lost it.  Theres countless times we see absurd things but can easily walk past or not react to. Part of this must have to do with the way that we are able to click at something else if what we are viewing is not up to par, or is displeasing. Look at your someone as they are doing social media and see just how disconnected from their surroundings they really are. 

P.S :  Maybe my point can’t be reached in 400 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment